Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Scottish Tartan & Crest Cake

Fraser Clan Tartan & Crest Cake

I made this cake for one of my co-workers. She is a huge fan of all things Scottish. Her favorite book series is called the Outlander which is about a Scottish highlander from the clan Fraser. (I highly recommend it
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander)

The Fraser crest says “Je Suis Prest” which means “I am ready”.
The bottom says “Co`Latha Breith Sona Dhuibh Sassenach” which means “Happy Birthday Sassenach” in Gaelic-Scots.

The cake is French vanilla cake with French vanilla pudding added to the batter (make a slightly more firm cake).

It’s filled with half vanilla Bavarian cream filling and half strawberry filling.
The sides are done with chocolate butter cream in the basket weave pattern with chocolate butter cream rope boarder.
The top and rope boarder are done with vanilla/butter butter cream frosting.
This has over 14 cups of batter and I lost track after 5 batches of icing… I wish I would have weighted this cake…it’s very very heavy.
This cake took 14+ hours to make and decorate (doesn’t include research, shopping for supplies, set up, clean up or delivery).

It’s a surprise for her…she hasn’t seen it yet, I can’t wait to see her reaction! - update: She loved it and so did the whole office. Many complements on design and the outstanding flavors. :o)



here is a copy of the design I used for the Fraser crest




this was a thick cake!

and big too!

I am very pleased with how this one turned out.  

5 comments:

  1. I love this cake! How did you manage to get the tartan on there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is two sheets of an editable image. i did the crest with an editable image as well then piped on top of it.

    ReplyDelete