Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Tom

I took a deep sigh and started to write this post. I can't even think of a title for it, my first thought was "$hit happens" or "fowl play", but as I type this I still haven't titled it.



I maybe was over confident? Even though I didn’t have as much time to work on this as I would have liked things were still going well, very well. I normally can point out all the things that I could have should have done or would do differently but I thought this cake was really coming out well.

 6 layers of french vanilla butter cake layered with milk chocolate buttercream frosting covered in hand piped dark chocolate feathers.  


 the head and neck are homemade rice cereal treats, then covered in white chocolate to "seal" the rice cereal treats into shape and make the fondant over lay nice an smooth (this was the first time I thought of covering it with melted white chocolate, not sure why this never dawned on me before as it really made it easy to work with and smooth). I built the head up to a round shape and covered the eyes with eye lids (should have taken photos without the hat, as i thought he had a good expression).


 

the 8 tail feathers and 6 wing feathers are all individuality hand shaped and I used various carving tools to get the right look to the feathers (including a few google images of what real turkey feathers look like). Then each feather was hand painted with food coloring and petal dust in multiple layers with a wet and dry brush technique to give it a closer to real look.



The tail feathers were then personalized with the guests names.

There are many fall leaves made from fondant or gum paste and all were lightly painted with luster dust. The acorns caps were stippled with the end of a carving tool and painted with simmer dust, the bottom of the acorn is fondant i mixed with corn starch to dry it out even more to give the right look to the bottom of the acorn, then each acorn was dry brushed with a dark brown and light black to give them a more real look.




The cake board was covered in frosting then covered in a smooth flat layer of crushed oreo cookies to look like dirt. I then sprinkled apple cinnamon crunchie things ( i found them a the bake shop they smelled so good) then then leaves and acorns.

 I "glued" it all down with lots and lots of melted chocolate candy melts to "glue" the feathers to each other so they wouldn't fall. I glued the neck to the body, I glued each leaf and acorn down. I carried it outside to the back yard where my son stood on the patio table to hold the white sheet up so i could take photos of it in natural light (as my favorite photographer is on vacation and my photos need all the help they can get).
then i moved it into the car trunk and all was well. I drove super super slow with my flasher on for the corners or bumps. people were passing me yelling - I had precious cargo people! made i pit stop to drop an item off a a place and checked on the birdy and all was well.
my son and I got to our meeting place with the clients and my son popped out of the car, i told him we are early no need to get out now, he said he wanted to check on the cake, he walked back to the front door with a horrible look on his face with tears in his eyes, I snapped at him and said "not even funny, don't joke" his voice cracked and he just shook his head I ripped off my seat belt and sprung to the trunk where I let out a very loud skelloch. I can only image what people around me thought of my son staring into the trunk crying and my scream.



Tom turkey die of heat exhaustion.
My 30-40min drive in 78 degrees outside was too hot inside the trunk for him. Tom didn't survive.

His head, beak, hat, tail feathers - all the parts i was worried about made it. all the parts i spent so much time working on to make sure they held up made it...it was death by moist butter cake...

there was enough time for me to wipe my tears before they pulled up, and i kept my huge sun glasses on to cover my eyes. V and J are such great people, really really great. We talked for a while about any attempts at recovery but it was just too too late for Tom.
Thus in the end, we disembodied him and placed his parts one by one in their car (licking icing off our fingers and flinging huge chunks of cake and icing in the parking lot).

Thanks for being so understand V & J, I'm so so very sorry I ruined your family Thanksgiving center piece and dessert.


RIP Tom, RIP



3 comments:

  1. Incredible quest there. What happened after? Thanks!



    my web-site ... Exchange Virtapay

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece of writing will help the internet viewers for building up new
    weblog or even a blog from start to end.

    My homepage; Abercrombie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make this website yourself or did you
    hire someone to do it for you? Plz answer back as I'm looking to create my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. cheers

    my web-site ... making money from home

    ReplyDelete